These lentil pakoras I tasted at my Bengali colleagues home at iftaar during the holy month of Ramadan. The method is so easy when making these, and the end result is so delicious mashAllah.
- Soak the lentils in warm water and set aside for 20-30 mins
- Drain the water from the lentils, place inside a food processor until a smooth paste forms (you will not need to add water, but if too thick add 1 tbsp water)
- Add the lentil paste to a bowl, add the sliced onions, grated ginger, chilli, coriander and salt and mix well with your hand - ensuring all ingredients are well incorporated
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer, then using fingers, take a small amount of mixture and place it in the oil (you do not need to form a ball shape when picking up the mixture to place it into the oil)
- Leave the pakora to turn golden brown on all sides, then remove from the oil and place on kitchen paper to remove excess oil before serving
Easy, simple and a lovely appetiser or side to have on the dinner table! Something for everyone to enjoyyyy :)