I first tasted these when my Bengali colleague made them and brought them for us to taste. She said it was called 'fob' - which I found quite funny! :) So here is the easy way to make these sweet coconut samosas.
- Soak the shredded coconut in the milk and set aside for 20-30 mins
- Add the flour, oil and salt in a bowl and mix. Slowly add the water and bring the dough together, until a solid dough forms. Knead for 4-5 mins, cover with a damp cloth and place in the oven for 20 mins
- In the meantime, heat the vegetable oil in a pan, add the bay leaves, cardamom and cinnamon until browned. Add the shredded coconut that has soaked up the milk, and mix on high heat for 3-4 mins, or until the liquid starts to soak up. Bring down the heat and continue to mix from time to time for a further 8-10 mins. Place in a plate to cool
- Make the dough into small balls to a size you desire. Roll out using a rolling pin to form a circular shape
- Add a few tablespoons of the coconut mixture, then fold over the dough. Twist the edges to seal the samosa, and place into hot oil for deep frying. Leave for a few minutes either side or until lightly browned
It is as easy as that! Delicious whilst hot. Try and you will enjoy inshAllah! :)