I was at work, yet thinking what should I cook when I get home. So I asked my Bengali colleague what is her favourite dish, so that I can cook it. She told me it is prawn saag - and told me how she makes it. It sounded straight forward and delicious, so I nipped into the supermarket on my way home, and it sure was worth it....
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pot, then add the onions, cooking until golden in colour
- Add the garlic and ginger, cooking for a few minutes
- Add the cinnamon stick, turmeric, coriander powder, dried chilli flakes and salt. Mix until well coated
- Add the chopped tomato, mix well, then cover and leave on medium/low heat until the mixture thickens
- Add the garam masala, mix well, then add the prawns and spinach, mixing until the spinach wilts and the prawns heat through (do not leave for too long or the prawns may become too chewy and rubbery)
- Top with coriander and/or lemon juice just before serving
This can be eaten with rice, naan bread, roti, or whatever really! Really simple to make, and so delicious! Enjoy :)