I was flicking through an old recipe book, and the thought of chocolate with orange sounded very appealing. So I gave it a go and the result was indeed worthwhile. If you like terry's chocolate, then you will love this cake!
- Place the sugar, eggs and orange rind in a heat proof bowl, over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Using an electric whisk, whisk the mixture for 10 mins until it becomes very thick and foamy, and the whisk leaves a trail when lifted above the mixture
- Remove off the heat, then add the flour, cocoa powder, butter and vanilla extract, and fold in gently with a metal spoon until combined
- Place into two 23cm cake tins, which have been oiled and lined with greaseproof paper, and place in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20-25 mins, or until the tooth pick comes out clean - then allow to cool a little in the tin before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely
- In the meantime, make the icing by melting the chocolate and butter in a microwave, mixing at 1 minute intervals until melted. Add the icing sugar and mix until combined. Allow the mixture to cool before placing it in the fridge for an hour to thicken
- Once the cake is cool, remove the icing and beat until pale and fluffy. Place the icing on one side of the cake, then add the other cake on top. Ice the whole cake, and decorate as desired
A very deluxe cake, which can be made for special occasions - or simply as an amazing treat! It tastes so delicious, as you can taste the orange with the chocolate! Enjoy.