Never heard of friands until today! But I sure am glad I gave them a go, because they taste...well, I will leave the final verdict up to you! But let me put it this way, if they weren't so amazing I wouldn't have put them up for you to try :)Â
- Sift the flour and icing sugar into a bowl, then stir in the ground almonds, coconut and lemon rind
- Whisk the egg whites in a large clean bowl until frothy (there are different methods to separate egg whites from the yolk. I use the method of cracking the egg in half then continuously transferring the yolk from one half of the shell to the other, until the egg whites are separated. Also when whisking, the more you whisk the better the end result..so be patient and let the egg whites become really frothy)
- Fold the egg whites into the dry ingredients. Then add the melted butter and stir until all evenly combined.
- Now it depends what you have handy at home, if you have friand tins, then welldone to you! Lightly oil these and spoon the mixture into each. However, if you do not own these fancy tins, use what you have available. I used muffin moulds, lightly oiled them, spooned in the mixture and topped with a raspberry
- Bake in the oven on 200 degrees celcius (gas mark 6), for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer when inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes, before turning them out of the moulds and lightly dusting each with icing sugar. Leave to cool completely before serving (although I have to admit, I had one whilst it was still hot, and it tasted amazing!)
Enjoy making these, and most importantly...enjoy eating them :) They really are easy and tasty! Enjoy :)