If you are looking to prepare a meal quickly, or you wish to have a vegetarian option, then this South Indian dish is really perfect.
- Wash the red lentils, then drain, and re-wash a few times. Then leave to soak in water for 30 mins
- Meanwhile, do the same with the rice (wash and drain a few times), then leave to soak in the water for 15 mins
- Drain out the water of the rice, place it in a pot with the olive oil, water and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover with a lid and leave to cook for 15 mins
- In the meantime, heat the vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat and roast the peanuts until golden brown, then remove onto kitchen paper and set aside
- In the same oil, add the cumin and mustard seeds, once they start to crackle, add the chilli and curry leaves and stir for a few seconds
- Drain the lentils and add them to the pan, stirring for a minute, then add the turmeric and combine
- Add the cooked rice into the pan, followed by salt and lemon juice, then mix gently to avoid breaking the rice. Stir fry for 2 minutes then serve
This was so quick to prepare, and tasty too mashAllah! I served it with salad - and it was eaten down to the very last rice :) Enjoy!