I really do love currys, and how can one resist making a potato and chicken curry? The take on this curry is more Indian style, as there are many ways you could make a potato and chicken curry. This is one way, and it sure was a delicious way!
- Mix all the ingredients under 'for the chicken marinate' together, then cover and leave to marinate for 20-30 minutes
- Meanwhile, make the masala paste by heating the oil in a pan, then add the coriander seeds until they start to brown
- Add the remaining ingredients under 'for masala paste' into the pan, Once the they are well mixed and starting to brown, add the ingredients from the pan into a blender to form a paste (add a little water if necessary). Set aside
- To make the gravy, heat the oil in a pot, then add the curry leaves, onions, chilli and salt. Once the onions become translucent, add the masala paste that was prepared earlier, and cook it for 2-3 minutes
- Add the tomatoes to the mixture, cover and cook for 5-10 minutes over medium/high heat, until the tomatoes have reduced down.
- Add the tomato puree to the mixture and cook until the tomatoes are well incorporated and you start seeing oil separate from the mixture (around 15-20 mins). Keep mixing in between to ensure the mixture isn't sticking (add hot water if necessary)
- Once done, cool the mixture, then blend into a thick paste. Transfer back to the pot, add the potatoes, cover and cook over medium heat for 5mins.
- Add the marinated chicken, and mix well to coat the chicken with the gravy
- Add the water, cover and cook over medium heat until the chicken and potatoes are cooked (15-20 mins)
- Garnish with coriander before serving
Spicy, flavoursome and delicious! A dish that really does make you want to go back for seconds! Enjoy :)