We had a few aubergines in the fridge, so I thought why not make a lasagna with them. A lovely vegetarian dish and not difficult at all.
- Do not peel the aubergines, just cut them into small cubes, then lay them out onto a tray and sprinkle salt on them. Leave them for a few minutes, then transfer them onto a baking tray, sprinkle the olive oil over them and bake in a hot oven for 10-15 mins, or until roasted
- Once out of the oven, place the aubergine in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients under 'for the aubergine sauce' then set aside
- Make the bechamel sauce by melting the butter in a large pot over medium heat, then add the flour and mix until the colour of the mixture becomes a lighter golden colour (takes a few minutes)
- Add the milk, and use a hand whisk to mix it in, to avoid any lumps. After a few minutes of whisking, add the salt, bay leaf and mixed herbs, then mix the sauce using a plastic spatula (if you have) until the sauce thickens. Once it does, add the cheddar cheese and mozarella cheese and mix until it melts
- In a deep oven dish, place a little of the aubergine sauce, then add a layer of lasagna sheets. Then top this with more aubergine sauce, some bechamel sauce and some extra cheese, then add another layer of lasagna sheets. Keep doing this until your sauce finishes. The top layer should be only bechamel sauce, and topped with cheese
- Place in the oven at 250 degrees Celsius for 15-20 mins or until the top becomes all golden and beautiful
This was absolutely delicious mashAllah! I tried to take a picture of the piece of lasagna at the dinner table, but clearly - it wasn't much of a success. I prioritised digging into the lasagna than to take a perfect shot! :D enjoy!