This recipe is delicious, but requires a little bit of skill when piping the mixture into the cannelloni.
- In large pot, add the spinach, olive oil, salt and pepper. Cover and leave over a low heat, stirring occasionally until the spinach has cooked down
- Transfer the wilted spinach with the liquid into a bowl and set aside
- In the same pot, heat olive oil, and add the onions. Cook till soft
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, the bay leaf, a few basil leaves and the lemon zest. Leave to simmer over low heat for 20 mins, until the sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper
- Squeeze the moisture out of the spinach just to roughly chop them, then place them back into the bowl with their liquid.
- Stir in the ricotta and egg to the sliced spinach, and then add salt
- Place the spinach mixture into a piping bag, and pipe into the cannelloni tubes. When they've all been filled, layer them into an oven dish
- Spread the tomato sauce over the cannellonis
- Scatter the remaining basil leaves, lay the mozzarella slices and drizzle over some olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper on top
- Place in a pre-heated 180 degrees Celsius oven for 35-40 mins (if the top starts to brown too fast, cover with foil)
This is a lovely dish to make, and so delicious to eat! Enjoy :)