I really like peaches, and thought it would be so nice to incorporate it into a cake. So I made this light and fluffy cake, with layers of cream and peaches for the Eid celebrations. Not difficult to make, and light when eating.
- Whisk the eggs, caster sugar, salt and vanilla extract using an electric whisk until the mixture doubles in volume and leaves a trail when the whisk is lifted.
- Turn the whisk to a lower speed, and continue whisking for a further 1-2 minutes
- Add the flour, and gently fold the mixture with a spatula until it combines
- Take out a third of the mixture into a different bowl, and add to this the oil, folding in until combined, then add the mixture back to the original bowl and mix altogether
- Add the milk and fold in gently until combined
- Grease and line a 20cm cake tin, then add the mixture and place into the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 30-40 mins (at the 30min point, check the cake with a skewer until it comes out clean)
- Once the cake is cooked, remove and leave to cool completely on a wire rack
- In the meantime, make the cream by whisking together the double cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract until it forms a cream consistency (watch out you do not over whisk), then place in the fridge ready for use
- When the cake has cooled completely, cut it lengthways into three layers. Add cream, then peaches, then a little more cream, followed by the cake layer. Repeat on the second layer, then decorate the final layer with cream and whatever decoration you wish
If you can leave this cake overnight, it gives the cream time to firm up and gives you lovely layers when the cake is cut. Enjoy :)